How to start?
Implementation of the method “The programming primer”
1. INTRODUCTION 1 and 2 period
Duration : Two periods (2 x 45 minutes)
The lesson may begin with a conversation about computers.
Instructions for the teacher:
In this moment the children do not know much about computers, but their imagination is very active. Therefore after a discussion about what they know and what they have at home some creative activities can be introduced.
- Encourage them to draw or describe (in written form) a computer, not necessarily the same as they have seen somewhere, but eventually such one, they would like to have now or once, when they will be grown up.
- The best drawings and texts may be exposed somewhere in class.
- Such a beginning activate the student, and stimulate those which are good in some specialty.
- At the end of all lessons students will get an idea how a computer relay works. Therefore they have to do a toy.
The material for building the toy they have to bring to next lessons:
- 9 empty matchboxes of same size, - felt pens in colors, - a handful of beens (about 50), - glue and two paper A4.
Next link ( Mema) is pointing to instructions for 3. and 4. period. There you can see how to make a toy together with your students, and why Mema is so useful.